First of all… Welcome to Sonniss!
Glad you found us and happy to have you here. OK. So let’s get started…
When we say ‘we’, ‘us’ or ‘Sonniss’ anywhere herein, we are referring to Timothy McHugh and the rest of the ‘Sonniss’ team. We believe that is important to maintain a personal relationship with all of our customers and suppliers. — Contact us anytime of the day or night. You are more than welcome.
Sonniss helps sound recordists earn money from selling a royalty-free license to use their sound libraries. You will need a special vendor account to list your sound libraries for sale through Sonniss (which requires a manual approval from one of the Team). An account on Sonniss is not required to purchase sound libraries, however, an account is automatically created at the point of sale if the said purchaser had not previously signed up.
Sonniss facilitates transactions between buyers and sellers using it’s own distribution platform and associated sales channels. Any buying and selling activities are logged directly on to the Sonniss user dashboard (for easy viewing), alongside on your Paypal statement. Files are available after purchase for up to 4 days and can be downloaded a maximum of 4 times.
All of the sound effect libraries on Sonniss are owned by their respective owners / copyright holders, not by us (Sonniss). We provide a digital marketplace and distribution service, allowing people in the sound industry to make money for their work; we do not take ownership of the sound libraries or get any rights to use the libraries other than to make them available on Sonniss and promote on Sonniss. If we need to use the sound effects in our own productions – we will purchase them from you.
How browsing / purchasing & accounts works
Browsing: You need to be 13 years or over to browse the sound effect libraries on Sonniss. We don’t knowingly collect any information from anyone aged 13 or under. When browsing the sound libraries on Sonniss, you agree to follow our guidelines and keep in mind that these terms apply to all of Sonniss whether or not you have an account.
Age: You need to be 18 years or over to signup for an account on Sonniss. If you’re under 18 you will need to be under the supervision of a parent or legal guardian who is at least 18 years of age, and this adult will be responsible for all your activities.
Benefits: Signing up is free. Having an account will allow you to purchase sound effect libraries from us, check past purchases and access your downloads. Having an account also gives you the opportunity to become a vendor.
Your responsibility: You promise that all of the information you give us is true, accurate and complete and that you will keep your account information up-to-date (including a working email and paypal address). Your account is non- transferable. You are responsible for any use of Sonniss that occurs in conjunction with your username and password. Please keep your password secure and don’t let any other person use your username or password on your behalf. If you realise there’s any unauthorized use of your password or any breach of security you need to let us know immediately.
It is important that you understand your responsibilities as a member of our community so please take the time to review this section carefully.
How purchasing works
This section will help you understand what you are buying when you purchase a sound library and how that transaction takes place on Sonniss.
For the different types of licenses and what they mean see our licensing page.
Terms of buying: When you purchase a sound effect library from Sonniss, you are doing so under the following terms:
- you promise to us (Sonniss) and the creator of the sound libraries that you have carefully considered the suitability of your chosen license, and that you have chosen appropriately;
- you cannot cancel a completed purchase of a sound library unless you have NOT downloaded the library in question;
- we and the vendors do not promise that any particular sound library will continue to be available on Sonniss so you should download and save the library as soon as you buy a license;
- once you purchase a library and you pay the full price, you acquire a non- exclusive royalty-free license to use the sound library under the terms set out in the license (non-exclusive means others might also license the same item);
- the seller retains full ownership of the sound libraries and any associated media;
- we have the right to enforce against you the terms of the license that you have acquired from a seller or us (Sonniss).
It is important that you understand the terms on which you are making a purchase. Please take the time to review this section carefully.
What sellers promise you about their sound effect libraries: The seller of a sound library promises you that:
- they own or have rights to use the intellectual property rights in that sound library and that sound library does not infringe the intellectual property rights of a third party;
- the sound library is not false, inaccurate, misleading, fraudulent, unlawful or defamatory;
- the sound library does not violate any applicable law or regulation (including those governing export control, consumer protection, unfair competition, criminal law, pornography, anti-discrimination, trade practices or fair trading);
- the sound library does not contain viruses or other computer codes, files or programs which are designed to limit or destroy the functionality of other computer software or hardware.
- Everything contained within the libraries are of the highest quality possible.
- Files will be delivered instantly at the point of sale once payment is paid in full.
This is what sellers are promising you when you buy a library from Sonniss.
Sound libraries with an incorrect price or incorrect information: Despite our reasonable efforts, sound libraries may occasionally be listed at an incorrect price or with incorrect information. If this happens, we may cancel or reverse a transaction, even after it is completed and a payment has been processed. If we do this, we’ll promptly arrange for any payment to be credited or refunded and you must not use the library.
If you would like to request a refund, please drop Timothy McHugh a message directly on firstname.lastname@example.org. Expect a response within 24 hours.
Becoming a Vendor
. If you are a professional sound recordist interested in selling your sound effect libraries, you can now earn thousands of extra dollars per month doing exactly that, whenever you want from wherever you want.
Upload your sound libraries and earn 60% commission on all sales (get paid instantly into your Paypal account on every sale). Sign up for a vendor account now – Only professionals need apply.
Imagine doing what you love for a loving and making passive income whether you’re working or not. Some of our vendors sell royalty-free sound libraries in their free time as a side-hobby after spending many years in the industry, some do it to get their name out there, and some are able to make it their full time profession. Remember that if you become a vendor these terms will continue to apply, along with the Seller Terms you’ll sign up to as a vendor.
To find out more about how to become a vendor visit the guide here.
What we own: We own all the content that we have put on our site (unless otherwise stated and excluding content owned by our sellers). This includes the design, compilation, and look and feel of Sonniss, and copyright, trademarks, designs and other intellectual property on Sonniss. We own all the logos, service marks and trade names on Sonniss (unless otherwise stated and excluding these things owned by others). You will not copy, distribute, modify or make derivative works of any of our content or use any of our intellectual property in any way not expressly stated in these terms.
What we don’t own: We do not own any of the sound libraries on Sonniss; our sellers do (we just distribute them and pay them a commission payment at the point of sale). So we cannot take personal responsibility for the quality, safety or legality of the sound libraries. We do not warrant that the sound libraries or any vendor content or materials available on or via Sonniss do not infringe the intellectual property rights of a third party. (Each vendor provides warranties to you directly when you purchase their sound library from us).
Copyright, trademark and intellectual property claims: We respect the intellectual property rights of others and we require that our sellers do the same. If you believe that a sound library or piece of content infringes an intellectual property right (including copyright) please see the information in our DMCA page.
Use of Information
Privacy: We respect your privacy. When you signup for an account you will be asked to provide some information about yourself. This information may be used by us in connection with providing the Sonniss site and services, including marketing activities.
Confidential Information: We value your information and take reasonable precautions to protect it. While we take reasonable steps to preserve the security of your information, please be aware that we can’t promise that your use of Sonniss will be confidential, and we can’t promise that any information you provide to us is perfectly secure. While using Sonniss, you may also become aware of confidential information about us or another vendor. You promise to not disclose any confidential information made available to you through Sonniss to any other person.
Prohibited Conduct: Sonniss is founded on the idea of a family-like community and like any functioning and healthy family or community, some things are not allowed and will not be tolerated. We aim to take a common sense approach to the general code of conduct on Sonniss but you promise that you will not:
- use a false email address, impersonate others, or misrepresent your affiliation with others;
- attempt to gain unauthorised access to computer systems or content through Sonniss;
- enter any arrangements that are not consistent with these terms or the Seller Terms;
- use information gathered from or through Sonniss in a way that may confuse or mislead consumers (for example, automatically gathering information to set up a site that looks like Sonniss);
- attempt to or actually interrupt, negatively impact or alter Sonniss’ operation in any way;
- use Sonniss or any of the content in a way that violates applicable law, that violates the intellectual property or other rights of us or others, or that is fraudulent, obscene, unprofessional, offensive, misleading or defamatory;
- reproduce, display, publish, distribute, transmit, perform, license, transfer, sell or re-sell any sound effect library from or through Sonniss, other than in accordance with these terms or the license for sound library
We strongly recommend that you don’t make your personal contact details public on Sonniss. Contact details include your street address, phone number, etc. If you do, it must not be for any reason prohibited and you do so at your risk!
Content removal: We can look at or remove any of your content for any reason at our discretion. Reasons might include quality assurance, if we receive a valid copyright take-down notice, if we think that the use of your content is unauthorised, misleading, incorrect, offensive, or in breach of anyone else’s rights, or if we think that your use of Sonniss and any content might result in liability to us or anyone else.
Eligibility, suspension or termination: Account holdership is not an automatic right, it is a benefit for community sellers and buyers who follow our reasonable rules and treat other users well. We hope that you will be with us for a long time. But we do reserve the right, based on our reasonable discretion, to determine whether or not your use of the Sonniss sites complies with these terms. We can suspend or terminate your Sonniss account at any time for any reason (acting reasonably of course), including if you don’t comply with these terms. If we do decide to permanently terminate your Sonniss account you must not apply for a new account as unfortunately you will no longer be welcome here.
Our indemnity to you
We provide the Sonniss marketplace, not the sound effect libraries on Sonniss. We are liable and responsible for:
- our use of Sonniss;
- the services, message, and quality assurance of all content that belongs to us (Sonniss).
- Sonniss content breaching of any intellectual property rights belonging to others;
- our breach of these terms;
- our breach of any industry code, regulation or law that applies.
You have no responsibility to us for, and we agree to indemnify you from, all liabilities, costs, expenses (including legal fees) and loss arising from third party claims due to any of the matters set out in the previous section.
Your indemnity to us
You are liable and responsible for:
- your use of Sonniss – the sound libraries, content and other materials you send through Sonniss;
- your content breaching any intellectual property rights belonging to others;
- your breach of these Terms;
- your breach of any license of a sound library;
- your breach of any industry code, regulation or law that applies.
We have no responsibility to you or to any other person for all liabilities, costs, expenses (including legal fees) and loss arising from third party claims due to any of the matters set out in the previous section – Your indemnity to us and you agree to indemnify us, our directors, officers, employees and agents from all losses.
This means that you protect us from costs and claims that happen because of your actions on Sonniss.
We reserve the right, at our own expense, to assume the exclusive defence and control of any matter otherwise subject to indemnification by you, and in such case, you agree to cooperate with our defence of such claim.
Availability: We strive to have Sonniss available to you 24 hours a day, seven days a week but you know how the internet works: occasionally you might not be able to access Sonniss, and this might happen for any reason, at any time, with or without notice. We might also change aspects of how Sonniss works. We will not be liable to you for any loss you suffer as a result of these things.
Third party: If you’re agreeing to these terms on behalf of someone else (like your agent), then you’re promising to us that you have full legal authority to bind that third party.
Disclaimer: In some places there may be consumer or fair trading laws that apply and that may give you rights that we cannot exclude, restrict or modify (‘non-excludable law’). We do not exclude or modify any non-excludable law. Except as provided in a non-excludable law, we are bound only by the express promises made in these terms and we are not bound by implied terms.
Relationship between the parties: Nothing in these terms is to be construed as constituting a partnership, joint venture, employment or agency relationship between you and us, or between you and any other user on Sonniss. Neither you nor us can bind each other in any way. We are, however, an agent of the sellers only for the limited purposes of the sound effect distribution and licensing negotiation.
Notices: Any notice you send us must be submitted via a email or social media account.
Changes to Sonniss: Although we can change any of our terms at any time (without any given notice) we will take reasonable steps to let you know when we do so.
Applicable Laws: We control and operate Sonniss from our HQ in Manchester, England, and all legal requests are bound under UK law.
Effective date: August. 11, 2014. / Updated: February 19th 2015.